May 25, 2012
Horn Elementary hosted our fourth ICCSD Farm to School – Farmer Fair, an “in-school field trip” that brings farmers and nutrition educators into elementary schools to talk to students about where their food comes from and making healthy food choices.
All K-6 students at Horn rotated through these hands-on activities:
- Meeting farm animals with Dana Foster, Scattergood School and Farm
- Learning about growing food with these local growers:
- Shelley Squier of Squier Squash and Donnelly Farms
- Katie Peterson, Jean Donahue and Jon Yagla of Hue Hill Farm
- Building a composting system with Scott Koepke, New Pioneer Food Co-op/Soilmates
- Planting seeds to take home with Kristin Bergman, Taproot Nature Experience
- Tasting local produce prepared by David Burt, owner of Burt Family Food Services
- Getting active during a nutrition lesson and relay race with:
- Maureen Meyer, AmeriCorps Member, Johnson County Public Health
- Lisa Yoder, Johnson County Extension, “Pick a Better Snack” program
“We are very excited to have the opportunity to bring community members into our school and teach our students how and what food is grown locally and how it ends up on our kitchen table,” says Kristin Cannon, principal at Horn Elementary. “Additionally, this presentation will help our students learn about the importance of nutrition and how they can make informed choices about the food they eat.”
The Horn Farmer Fair was presented with assistance from Johnson County Public Health’s AmeriCorps Member, Maureen Meyer. The Horn Farmer Fair was made possible by donations from the 2011 Culinary Ride and Paul’s Discount Store.