The Buy Fresh Buy Local marketing and educational program works to increase consumer demand for and access to fresh, local produce. The purpose of the campaign is:
- To educate consumers about the benefits of local food.
- To promote regional economic development by expanding the market for local, sustainable food.
- To spotlight our local treasures: farmers’ markets, family farms and orchards, local meat lockers, restaurants, grocery stores and businesses that serve or sell locally grown farm products.
- To stimulate the long-term vitality of Iowa agriculture by making independent farmers and businesses stronger.
Program participation is available to farms, markets, restaurants, retailers, distributors, institutions, food artisans, and other food businesses. Field to Family’s Buy Fresh Buy Local produces, in partnerships, resources and events showcasing local foods and related topics, including:
- The Buy Fresh Buy Local Food Directory (6000 copies in 2012)
- A monthly e-newsletter
- Field to Family website
- Field to Family Facebook page (nearly 400 fans)
- The Come to the Table Local Food Summit
- A Regional Local Food Coalition
- The Field to Family Festival
Field to Family’s BFBL chapter features producers in Benton, Cedar, Iowa, Johnson, Jones, Linn, Poweshiek, Tama and Washington counties.