2017 Culinary Walk: Thursday, September 7, 2017 from 5:30-8:00 PM.
The Culinary Walk is an annual delicious fundraiser for Field to Family featuring seven downtown restaurants. Walk with friends and sample culinary treats from local restaurants featuring ingredients from local farmers. Go from stop to stop experiencing unique dishes that are typically not found on the menu! Bring your friends and meet new ones on this annual downtown culinary tradition.
Details for the 2017 Walk forthcoming. The following restaurants were on the 2016 Culinary Walk:
Featuring Heartland Fresh Family Farm Chicken seasoned with New Pioneer Memphis Mop BBQ Sauce, served on a Medallion of Early Morning Harvest Corn Grits and topped with Milton Creamery’s Prairie Breeze Cheddar. Plus, Timeless Prairie Honeycrisp Apple Crisp, With Cedar Ridge Bourbon Sauce, Topped with Hanson’s Dairy Cream
· Share Lounge & Wine Bar: locally sourced Pork jambalaya
· Pullman Bar & Diner featuring Heartland Fresh Family Farms Jamaican Jerk Pork Shoulder, Creamy Polenta , House Pickapeppa Sauce, Cilantro from Green Share LLC.
· Atlas World Grill: Featuring Elk Pot Stickers, Hoisin Braised Elk Shoulder, Shitake Mushrooms, Napa Cabbage, Mushroom Dashi
(Elk: Wildlife Lakes Farm, Burlington IA. Mushrooms: Anything But Green Gardens, Vinton IA.)
Kale and Beet Salad
Multiple Kale Varieties, Roasted Beets, Fetta, Crispy Carrots, Carrot Cumin Vinaigrette
(Kale: Friendly Farms, Iowa City IA. Beets: Muddy Miss Farm, Iowa City IA.)
Roasted eggplant puree, Tahini, Marinated Tomatoes, Herb Yogurt drizzle
(Eggplant: Echollective Farm, Iowa City, IA. Tomatoes: Friendly Farms, Iowa City, IA)
Sweet Corn Ice Cream (Sweet Corn: Hotz Produce Iowa City, IA)
Cucumber Matcha Cooler, Matcha Green Tea, Cucumber Puree, Milk (Cucumber: Muddy Miss Farm, Iowa City, IA.)
Lion Bridge Brewing Co. (Cedar Rapids, IA) Sampling:
The Disaster at Meux (Brown Porter, 5.8%) Brewed to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of the The Great Porter Flood of 1814 that occurred in London at the Meux Brewery. Biscuity, brown malt character and a bit of chocolate and coffee make this a nice, quaffable brew. Gold Medal at the 2015 Great American Beer Festival.
Bridge Beer (Light Golden Ale, 3.6%)
Nothing exotic. Nothing made with spices harvested from the top of an iceberg. Just an honest-to-goodness crushable beer. Bridge Beer is our take on light beer, with just a bit more panache. It doesn’t demand hours of contemplation but you just might contemplate drinking it for hours
· Basta featuring Braised Lamb Shoulder, Tender Lamb, Creamy Polenta, Caramelized Onions, Lamb Jus (Lamb: Pavelka’s Point Meats, Mt. Vernon IA. Sweet Onions: Echollective Farm, Iowa City IA)
Local Mushroom Fettunta, Grilled Ciabatta Bread, Truffled Roasted Mushrooms, Melted Taleggio Cheese (Mushrooms: Anything But Green Gardens, Vinton IA)
Husk Cherry Gelato (Husk Cherries: Amos Dean, Iowa City, IA)
Roasted Zucchini Gelato (Zucchini: Echollective Farm, Iowa City IA)
· Devotay: Roasted Beet and Sweet Pepper Teriyaki Kebab with Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes. Organic Sprouts from Organic Greens, LLC.
· Motley Cow Café: Slow-roasted Pavelka’s Point pork fritter with chow chow; Pumpkin maple custard; Ricotta tart; Cedar Ridge cocktail
Culinary Walk passports are $30 and are sold online and at New Pioneer Food Co-op.
Event begins at all participating restaurants at 5:30 P.M. Passports purchased online can be picked up at our Will Call table located outside New Pioneer Food Co-op, 22 S. Van Buren St. Iowa City, IA beginning anytime after 5:00 PM. Online sales stop at 5:30, but are available for purchase at New Pi until 7 PM.
Want more details? Read about the 2015 Culinary Walk and check out the menu from last year!